Take a break, relax, and have fun
First-Year Social Committee
During each month of the year, the First-Year Social Committee (FYSC) sponsors social and inclusive events, both on campus and off campus, for the entire first-year class. Some of the traditional annual events include a trip to a Red Sox Game, First-Year Formal, a tailgate before the Harvard-Yale game, and a Housing Day Eve celebration. All events hosted by the FYSC are no cost, alcohol-free, and open to the entire class (except for the Formal which is a ticketed event). First-year students interested in joining the FYSC can apply early in the fall semester. Please contact the First-Year Programming Graduate Assistant to suggest events or learn more.
Meet the 2020-21 FYSC!
Have an idea for a social activity that will contribute to the first-year community, but not sure where to find funding for it? You can request First-Year FUNds! Events supported with First-Year FUNds usually cost $75 or less, are inclusive in nature, encourage social connections beyond the entryway, and provide a safe opportunity to meet others in the Class. For Fall 2020, submissions for virtual events are strongly encouraged, though proposals for small, in-person outdoor activities or excursions within the immediate Boston/Cambridge area may be considered if they adhere to the current campus guidelines for social gatherings.
Ideas for in-person activities might include
- Blue bike tour of Cambridge,
- A trip to the Boston Public Garden
- Self-guided walking tour of Harvard’s campus or Boston’s historic Freedom Trail
- Small group outing for ice cream or bubble tea
- Visit to the Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, or Institute of Contemporary Art (all free for students, but reservations are required)
- Take advantage of free Harvard shuttles, especially the M2 shuttle to travel between Harvard Square and Boston
- Use Blue Bikes to reach your destination ($2.50 per 2-hour trip or $10 for unlimited use over 24 hours, and also available to Harvard students for a discounted annual membership)
- Post about your event on the #Events Slack Channel to invite other first-year students to join you
- Take advantage of Harvard discounts through Outings and Innings
- Apply by noon on Monday and you'll get a response by Thursday evening, just in time for the weekend
- Permissible expenses: online games/experiences, admission costs, transportation, or refreshments
- To be reimbursed for your expenses, keep receipts to document the amount; reimbursement (by check or direct deposit) typically takes 2 weeks
Please note that only first-year students are eligible to apply for First-Year FUNds. All first-year students are encouraged to apply, whether studying remotely or on campus. Questions can be sent to the First-Year Experience Office.