Events in the Dorms
Common Room Reservation Requirements and Process
Example: game nights, entryway parties, movie nights
- Each common room can be reserved Friday or Saturday for a 3-hour time block ending no later than 1:00 am.
- Gatherings are limited to the capacity of the room as set by the University.
- There may be no more than one registered event per common room per weekend.
- Common rooms are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Events must be for first-year students only. Note: Yard Common Rooms may not be reserved for events hosted by student organizations.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited. If alcohol is seen to be present, the event will be immediately shut down.
- Confine the gathering to the common room; no overflow into hallways or outside is permitted. Be respectful of your neighbors, and keep sound to reasonable levels.
- You are responsible for your guests. You can incur disciplinary action for your guests' behavior as well as your own.
- Music must be turned off and the event closed down by 1:00 am. Proctors may close down events that are deemed too loud, disruptive, or crowded at any time.
- First Year FUNds may be available to help cover expenses for your gatherings if requested from the First-Year Experience Office two weeks before your event.
To request a common room, email email@example.com by 3:00 pm the Wednesday before your event with the following information:
- Host name
- Email address
- Cell phone number
- Event date (must be a Friday or Saturday)
- Event start and end times
- Preferred common room
- Expected number of attendees
- Event details/description
- Proctor name
- Confirm the following: I have talked with my proctor about this event, and they or another proctor designated by them intend to be available in case of emergency or if I need help. I have provided appropriate contact information.
- Confirm the following: I have read and understand the first-year common room regulations, in addition to Massachusetts law and Harvard College policy governing alcohol and entertainment.
Suite Party Registration Process
Requirements for Small, Private Gatherings
Example: birthday party
- Suite events can be held Fridays and Saturdays until 1:00 am
- Speak with your proctor well in advance about your plans
- Complete the party registration form and submit to your proctor 48 hours before your event
Please reach out to your proctor or Resident Dean if you have questions.